UC San Diego SearchMenu
  • Hindu
  • Hong Kong 3
  • Machu Picchu
  • Bergamo
  • Cairo
  • Hong Kong 22
  • Cape Point
  • Egypt
  • German Church
  • Hong Kong 52
  • Indonesian Girls
  • Prague Rooftops
  • Penguins
  • St. Petersburg
  • Wall
  • Hong Kong 12

FAQ: IICAS Faculty Research Planning & Conference Grants

Am I eligible to submit a proposal for the IICAS faculty research or conference grants?

Only members of UCSD Academic Senate are eligible to receive an IICAS faculty research or conference grant.

If I receive an award, does my home department administer the funds?

When you accept an IICAS research or conference grant, our MSO will contact you to determine how you would prefer to have your funds administered. You can have the funds transferred to your home department or unit, or IICAS can administer the funds for you.

If I receive an award, can IICAS help with planning / logistics?

Yes, if the IICAS award provides a significant portion of your project’s support funds, IICAS is happy to coordinate event logistics and travel planning related to your project. That's what we're here for.  If yours is a conference grant, please note that such assistance is based on your acceptance of IICAS’ event coordination procedures and guidelines. In addition, allow 6 months from July 1st of this year to hold your conference.  IICAS staff require this time to coordinate conferences.  Thus, the earliest date of your conference should be January of next year.

What type of funds are available?

All IICAS grants are in the form of state funds (19900A).

Is there anything I can't use the award for?

Your IICAS award is subject to all restrictions governing state funds. For example, no alcohol or flowers are allowed on 19900A, and your award letter may contain specific restrictions on expenses. The department administering the award is ultimately responsible to oversee the proper use of the funds. For more information on allowable and unallowable expenses, please contact the IICAS MSO (Martha Salinas). She can think of all sorts of things you can't spend it on...best to know in advance.

What happens if my travel dates are delayed or extended?

Your research travel should occur within the 2012-13 academic year. If you need to change the start or end date of your trip, notify IICAS as soon as possible so that we can make the necessary adjustments to your event approval. In the event of a longer delay, you may elect to defer your award for a period of up to one year. *NOTE WELL: If you must delay or extend your trip and have already accepted a cash advance, and your return from the trip will be more than 3 months from the date you received the advance, the award may be reported to the IRS as income for tax reporting purposes.* To avoid this, you may instead choose to be reimbursed for your travel expenses at the completion of your trip in lieu of a cash advance.

What do I need to do when I return from my trip? Can I keep any unused travel funds?

All travel / cash awards must be reconciled against actual costs within 30 days of the end of the trip by sending original travel receipts for airfare, lodging, etc. and/or a detailed itinerary (for claiming per diem) to the IICAS MSO. Any unused / uncommitted award funds remaining at the end of fiscal year 2013 (June 30, 2013) will be returned to the IICAS award pool.

What exactly is required in the final report?

The final report should consist of a brief summary of what was accomplished, future plans for expansion of the research project or publishable results, and a one-page statement of expenses showing the remaining balance (if any).
for an event
to event announcements
read the latest news